After I sold O I had about 1000 different ideas about how I would proceed in the future with horses. They fall under three main catagories:
- Lease a horse
- Buy a horse
- Scramble and ride whatever I can
But after those three directions…things got a little crazy. Below is a list of the array of things I’ve thought about doing. Some completely ridiculous, some more plausible….
- Buy a cute, young horse to bring up through the hunter world. (like I did with O, but hopefully it wouldn’t hate to jump)
- Bring up baby horse. My husband has a ‘baby horse’ who is 4 and couldn’t hurt to put miles on.
- Buy a greenie off the track. Because I loved my OTTB’s I worked with in high school, and would love to have my own again.
- Adopt a mustang. Because Elisa Wallace and several bloggers here make them look like tiny sporty badasses.
- Lease something with some experience, and hit the shows hard.
- Buy a baby horse.
- Steal my father-in-law’s lovely black Percheron mare Because she looks like something out of a fairy tale. Also, feathers.
- Forget my pursuits, buy a young large pony, and spend the next few years bringing it up the levels. It’ll be a rockstar by the time baby girl can really ride.
- Explore new disciplines! Eventing (at the lowest level) looks like something my stomach might be able to handle. Or hey, what about foxhunting!? We have a great local organization for both.
- Maybe I’m going too far and really just want to play jumpers? Speed and bling are welcome there, and I like both those things.
What all of this really breaks down to is I have zero clue what I’m going to do next anymore. I thought I did. Then I found more options….and then others…and now we are here. But the biggest piece of advice everyone shared with me is that I shouldn’t rush. I should take my time and enjoy what I’m doing. So for now, I’m going to keep poking my way around the hunter ring with cute schoolies. After that…who knows!?